IGNOU scrapped the course leaving students in lurch

Discuss about IGNOU News like IGNOU Examination dates, latest courses, seminars, assignments submissions and anything about IGNOU.

IGNOU scrapped the course leaving students in lurch

Postby noopur » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:25 pm

Students did not think twice before joining a job-oriented course by IGNOU. Hitching their hopes to a two-year course, students from across the state in 2011 had joined an institute, which ran the course under the community college, in BHEL area.

All was well more than a year till one day when a pronouncement from the institute authorities came as a bolt from the blue for them. They were told that the IGNOU had shut the course. Needless to say, the decision has left them in the lurch.

Two year later and spending Rs 40,000 each, they do not know what lies ahead for them. Students allege that Industrial Management for Safety, Health and Environment (IIMSHE) is neither returning the course fee nor giving any assurances to complete the course.

They allege that the IIMSHE has wasted their two years and money. "I had joined the course as a brochure issued by the institute claimed that the IGNOU-run course was approved by the BHEL. After wasting two years I only stand to lose," said a student, Rechel Harry. She added: "The institute management is not ready to listen to anything."

Of the four-semester course, students appeared in two. But again it was of no use as they were not given marks. "My family had arranged Rs 40,000 fee after a lot of trouble. They have no right to fool students in this manner. I want my money back or I will drag them to the court and police station."

She even claimed college managing director S A PIllai refuses to given her an audience.

In March last year, the IIMSHE had issued a certificate to Rechel stating that Rechel is a bonafide student of the institute for the two-year course of Associate Diploma Programme (ADP), which is diploma in the mechanical engineering in four semesters.

IIMSHE had even assured stipend to students for practical training in BHEL. "We went to BHEL for training and after a month, we were told the course has been scrapped. Even after taking training from there, the institute did not offer a single penny," Rechel said. TOI possess a copy of all certificates and fee receipts issued by the institute. When contacted, Pillai said, "After IGNOU decided to stop the course, we decided to take permission from other university. We have approached Mahatma Gandhi Chitrakoot Gramodaya University. We will resume classes in next 2-3 months."

About the approval from BHEL, he said, "I cannot promise whether BHEL will approve the course or not. I can't help." As for fee, he said except Rs 1,000 as registration fee, the rest of the money would be returned to students unwilling to continue course from Chitrakoot University.

Other students, however, said, "Whenever we approached him, he replied that the money would not be returned, as they were provided books and other stationery for the course When contacted, IGNOU section officer C P Mursenia, categorically said, "After a review, it was found that people running community colleges were not following the norms set by the university. In such a situation, the university had decided in July 2012 to shut down the course." He, however, assured if students file any complaint to the IGNOU, it would take action against such institutes for not returning the fee.
noopur

Return to IGNOU News and Updates